Thursday, May 21, 2009

Welcome to Maplehurst

Well, it's time for my annual pilgrimage to eastern Pennsylvania to visit the family. So while I'm flitting off to northern climes and stuffing my face with cheese steaks, I'm once again leaving this blog on autopilot.

As if it hasn't been there for the past few months.

At any rate, to amuse you for the next few days, I've wandered around the historic Maplehurst neighborhood, ensconced on a hill between downtown and the University of Tennessee. This tiny enclave of early twentieth century cottages may not be with us for long, as it has been bought out by a large property management corporation and the jury is still out as to whether they'll keep these buildings in good, historically appropriate condition.

But to hedge our bets, I've recorded some of the charming architectural details of this neighborhood in a series I'm calling the Doors of Maplehurst. Tune in tomorrow to begin the tour.

No comments: