Sunday, September 21, 2008

Young Anachronists

There's been some discussion around the CDP community about needing to explore other areas of our towns so as not to fall into a rut. I took that advice to heart, and decided to investigate Victor Ashe Park in Northwest Knoxville, one of the city's newest parks. I was not disappointed.
The city purchased 115 acres in the heart of the Northwest neighborhood to create this beautiful community space, and named it after Victor Ashe, former mayor of Knoxville, who is currently serving as US ambassador to Poland. Love him or hate him (and there are folks in both camps there), Ashe left the city a strong legacy of parks and a network of greenways that are still growing. 
I decided to show you the very first thing I saw as I pulled into the parking lot. These young people came to the park to joust. Their swords and staffs are covered with foam rubber, so no one gets hurt. Here, like the Fellowship of the Ring, they are on the road to adventure.

9 comments:

Hope said...

Our family just loves Victor Ashe park and we go there often to play. Did you also see that there is a "Frisbee Golf" course where you play golf with frisbees. This park is a great place to play and spend an afternoon!

angela said...

Frisbee golf and jousting...there are some very imaginative activities going on in Ashe park. Sounds like a great place to let off steam..

Jim Klenke said...

I think I would have to go back to that park. It looks like fun for people watching.

Laurie Allee said...

This is such a fun picture. It really makes me wish i could follow along and see what they do next. I love all the colors.

Isn't it fun to step outside of a comfort zone? :-)

marley said...

Cool photo. I never seen/heard of jousting like this. I think of chain mail and horses!

It just goes to show what you can find away from your normal areas. I think I'll follow your lead :)

Hope said...

Knoxville Girl...you are visiting my stomping grounds. I need to venture into some of the areas you frequent. I work downtown but rarely venture to take photos. A good idea to investigate unfamiliar places.

Saretta said...

I love to see these kids out and about in costume...not afraid to do something different and have fun. Go kids!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Chainmail and men on horses, yes please. Ramsey is so frigging small I have no area I wouldn't go. Ok maybe the men's loos, but if I'm stuck for a pic then I will go on my own personal quest. No Frodos here, just lots of trolls.

Hilda said...

Cool! Looks like a lot of fun, but also physically challenging despite the foam rubber. They're armored! (Okay, they look like shin guards, but still…)