Sunday, June 29, 2008

For Your Health

The Blooms Days festival is an annual fundraiser for the University of Tennessee Gardens, the outdoor laboratory for the UT Department of Plant Sciences. There's food, bluegrass music, gardening lectures, plants for sale, and demonstrations of taijiquan by the Knoxville Chapter of the Taoist Tai Chi Society, of which I am a member. Taijiquan is a "low impact" form of martial arts used for its health benefits. Here, members are going through a "set" of 108 movements. (You won't see me in this set of course, because I was behind the camera!). The aims of the Taoist Tai Chi Society are very simple: to make tai chi available to all, to promote the health-improving qualities of tai chi, to promote cultural exchange, and to help others. I've been practicing tai chi for two years now, and can say that I have better balance and flexibility than when I started - and also get to enjoy good company.

4 comments:

Jim Klenke said...

108 movements, do you ever forget the order to do them?

Lynette said...

Wonderful, wonderful photo of a great activity. I also enjoyed browsing all of your recent posts.

Jane Hards Photography said...

That is an amazing pic. It looks like you have caught them mid fall. I like watching Tai Chi, but I'm far to hyper. Obviously this is why I should try it or yoga to calm down.

Ming the Merciless said...

Awesome photo! They are all in sync. How perfect is that?