Friday, October 31, 2008

All Hallows

It's All Hallows Eve - Halloween - so of course I'm going to show you a cemetery.

This is the First Presbyterian Church cemetery downtown, the oldest cemetery in Knoxville city limits. It's a very pretty place to walk, not spooky at all. At least in the daytime.

The church was organized in the 1790s. James White, one of the pioneer founders of Knoxville, donated his turnip patch for the church and cemetery. The earliest headstone is dated 1800. Some prominent East Tennesseans such as James White and first governor William Blount are buried here. During the Civil War, Conferderate soldiers occupied the graveyard, and Union soldiers occupied the church. That must have been awkward.

I haven't heard any good haunt stories about this graveyard, but I'm not about to stick around tonight to find out either.

9 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

I did a cemetery today too ;) I love the wrought iron fencing in yours. The cemetery in my photo is at the end of our gravel road and my older son wants me to walk through it with him late tonight, scary!

Jim Klenke said...

The headstones look so close together. I bet there are a lot of ghosts in there. Probably some nice ones.

Virginia said...

Well those grave markers are the perfect thing for Halloween. Almost look like the ones you buy at Wal Mart!HA When my friend Mary arrives from Cincinnati in two weeks, we'll be headed back the Oak HIll for a look see. That's the one I featured a week or so ago.
Nicely composed shot and of course the BW was perfect.

marley said...

If you stayed there tonight I'm sure you'd have a spooky story! Great post for Halloween :)

Petrea Burchard said...

Awkward! That's a good one.

I love old graveyards. The older the better. This is a pretty shot.

Jane Hards Photography said...

This appeals to my younger goth self(first time around not these young upstarts!)Don't you just want to go and cut all the heads off the roses when see an image like this.

Hope said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to hang around this place at night! Cool to read about the Confederate and Union soldiers....awkward. Love this post!

Tash said...

All Hallows Eve at it's best! Great post & I've got to say it too - Union/confed/awkward - priceless :)

USelaine said...

Awkward, clumsy, embarrassing, and rather hard to live down, I would think. But here we all are. 6^)